The The Brothers' Workshop forum
Spelletjescafé - Café de jeux

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nd runner-up last seaso

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Brothers' Workshop forum Forum Index -> Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yyys123

PostPosted: 09-10-2019 06:36:09    Post subject: nd runner-up last seaso Reply with quote

Paul Pierce turns 37 in October and isnt quite the offensive force he was when he was leading the Boston Celtics to the championship seven years ago. The old man showed last year in Brooklyn that he still knows how to knock down a clutch shot and grind out a playoff series victory, which made the up-and-coming Washington Wizards eager to add the man known as "The Truth." Pierce and the Wizards agreed to terms on a two-year deal on Saturday night, a person with knowledge of the agreement told The Associated Press. The deal is for the mid-level exception, which is about $5.3 million for next season, and includes a player option in the second year of the contract. The person requested anonymity because the Wizards have not officially announced the signing. "Welcome the truth (at)paulpierce34 to DC....wizkids!!" Wizards point guard John Wall tweeted. After spending the first 15 seasons of his career in Boston, Pierce is on the move for the second straight summer in a deal first reported by ESPN, and the Wizards couldnt be happier. Wall and Bradley Beal have formed one of the most exciting young backcourts in the league, and they helped the surprising Wizards to their first playoff series victory since 2005. Looking to build on that momentum, the Wizards have already brought back coach Randy Wittman, signed centre Marcin Gortat to a five-year, $60 million and brought back veteran point guard Andre Miller. One player it appears they werent able to retain is swingman Trevor Ariza, who agreed to a four-year, $32 million deal with the Houston Rockets, according to several reports, including USA Today. "I want to thank (at)WashWizards (owner) (at)TedLeonsis ... for two great years," Ariza tweeted. "I will (always) be grateful for you guys. Much love... To my lil bros (at)John--Wall and (at)RealDealBeal23 stay on that grind love yall boys. .wizkids .respect." It didnt take long for the Wizards to rebound. Now those "Wiz kids" have another big brother to help show them how to take the next step. Pierce averaged a career-low 13.5 points last season in his first year with the Nets. But he is a 10-time All-Star who has gained a reputation as one of the best big-moment players in the league. Pierce doesnt have a game that relies on extreme athleticism or quickness. Its predicated more on instincts and an ability to initiate contact to create space to get off that trademark high-arching jump shot, which should allow him to remain effective longer than other players who lose some of the juice in their legs as they get older. "I would like welcome Paul Pierce to The Wizards family. Were going to have a great run," Gortat tweeted. "Its going to be an honour to play with such an amazing player." It also further underlines the major disappointment in Brooklyn. The Nets gave three first-round draft picks to the Celtics last summer to bring Pierce and Kevin Garnett in and make a run at a championship. But a team that cost owner Mikhail Prokhorov about $190 million after luxury tax payments got off to a horrid start to the season, beat the Toronto Raptors in the first round of the playoffs and then were dismissed in the Eastern Conference semifinals by the Miami Heat. Coach Jason Kidd lost a power struggle with Nets management and wound up in Milwaukee and now Pierce is gone as well. Cheap Rays Jerseys . The Toronto Argonauts running back hurt his left ankle during the teams practice Friday afternoon at Rogers Centre. Anthony Banda Rays Jersey . -- Two-time AL Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana agreed Tuesday to a minor league contract with the Baltimore Orioles as he tries to come back from the second major operation on his left shoulder. https://www.cheapraysonline.com/1756i-joe-maddon-jersey-rays.html . Watch all the action unfold live on TSN and TSN Mobile TV at 7:30pm et/4:30pm pt. You can also watch the game live with the debut of Wednesday Night Hockey on TSN.ca and chat throughout the game with TSN. Yonny Chirinos Jersey .com) - The NBA will be on display overseas Thursday with the New York Knicks taking on the Milwaukee Bucks at O2 Arena in London. Stitched Rays Jerseys .K. Subban has picked the right time of the year to go on an offensive tear.ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Broncos linebacker Von Miller received a six-game suspension under the NFLs substance-abuse policy Tuesday, taking away the best defensive player from a team many expect to make a run at the Super Bowl. The league wanted a longer penalty for the third-year linebacker, but the sides agreed to less than half the season, a person familiar with the negotiations between the linebacker and the NFL told The Associated Press. The person who spoke to the AP did not want to be identified because details about the negotiations were not public. Broncos executive vice-president John Elway said the team was frustrated with what happened "and, I think, disappointed in Von." "Well live with that decision," Elway said. "What Id like to do is try to do everything we can to prevent any other situations." According to the NFL, Miller is eligible to play and practice through the last two preseason games. His suspension, without pay, will begin Aug. 31, and will cost him more than $800,000 of the nearly $2.3 million hes scheduled to make this season. Hell be allowed at the team facility, but not at practice during the suspension. He can return to the field Oct. 14, the day after Denvers home game against Jacksonville, and will be eligible for an Oct. 20 contest at the Indianapolis Colts. After being notified of the decision, Miller released a statement saying, "although my suspension doesnt result from a positive test, there is no excuse for my violations of the rules." "I made mistakes and my suspension has hurt my team, Broncos fans, and myself," he said. "I am especially sorry for the effect of my bad decisions on others. I will not make the same mistakes about adhering to the policy in the future. " The NFL has two drug policies -- one that covers use of performance-enhancing substances and the "Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse" that applied to Millers case. There are ways to violate the drug policy without necessarily testing positive. They include missing a test, refusing to test, tampering with tests or giving a diluted urine sample. The Broncos had been operating throughout the preseason as if Miller would be with them for their regular-season opener Sept. 5. "I dont know if that was confidence as much as it was wishful thinking," coach John Fox said. "I think we all tend to look at the glass half full instead of half empty. But now the reality is there and Im kind of glad weve gotten to where it is finalized." It gives Fox a chance to finalize "Plan B" for a team listed at most Vegas sports books as the favourite to win the Super Bowl. Miller is the best player on the Broncos defence -- the second pick of the 2011 draft, the NFLs 2011 Defensive Rookie of the Year and runner-up last season for the leagues Defensive Player of the Year. He had 18 1/2 sacks last season and 30 over his two years. Likely to take his spot at the rush linebacker position is Shauun Phillips, a 10-year veteran the Broncos signed in free agency during the off-season.dddddddddddd Others in the mix in a juggled linebacker corps include Nate Irving, Wesley Woodyard and Danny Trevathan. Another linebacker, Stewart Bradley, had emerged as a front-runner over Irving at middle linebacker during training camp, but he hurt his left wrist in a preseason game Saturday night and underwent surgery. On Tuesday, the Broncos signed 12th-year veteran Paris Lenon, who played ahead of Bradley in Arizona last year. "Were going to have to have guys play better," Fox said. "Everybody is going to have to step up. I know its Next man up, but hes a hard man to replace." Miller, meanwhile, has a number of issues pending before his return. Among them, staying in playing shape while not being allowed to practice with the team. He also must clear up his recent arrest for failing to appear in court for traffic violations. News of the arrest came as Miller was deep in negotiations with the league and the union over his case, about which he repeatedly insisted he had "done nothing wrong." Then, theres the issue of keeping the trust of his teammates, who have steadfastly backed him during a summer filled with turmoil. "Has not changed," Peyton Manning said Tuesday, before word of the six-game suspension became official. "Theres been a lot of noise and speculation. But Von is one of our teammates. Hes part of the family, and I certainly have his back as his teammate and I know that all the players do and the organization does." The organization has been hit by a number of distracting stories since last season ended with a loss to Baltimore in the divisional playoffs. The Broncos lost their second-leading sack man, Elvis Dumervil, because of a foul-up with a fax machine while his contract was being finalized. Two front-office executives got arrested on drunken-driving charges and were suspended. Millers status has been the news since training camp started, though it has shared headlines with a steady beat of injuries coming out of training camp. All of which threatens the focus of a team that brought Manning in to win the Super Bowl now. "I think sometimes you can use distractions to your benefit, in the fact that distractions are also when you are getting patted on the back all the time, which we have been quite a bit," Elway said. "Von was a big part of our defence and were going to have to play and pick up that slack." Miller will be sidelined for the season opener against Baltimore, then at the New York Giants, home against Philadelphia and Oakland, at Dallas and home against Jacksonville. His return coincides with Mannings first game in Indianapolis since he last put on a Colts uniform. "The guys around him have to play better," Fox said. "The guys on the other side of the ball have to play better. That will be the challenge to our team." ' ' '
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Brothers' Workshop forum Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: